Friday, January 7

I am having a very ADD day.

I should be working. I should be medicated. I should be medicated, so I CAN be working.

Instead, bizarre thoughts are running around in my head making it very hard to concentrate on work.

So instead of fighting it, I'm just going to go with it. I am going to take my "union sanctioned" 20 minute lunch break and jot down all that is running through my head right now. Then maybe I can get back to work.

~"Union Sanctioned" 20 Minute Lunch Breaks~
According to the NEA, I am entitled to a 20 (or maybe it's 25) minute lunch break that is "duty free." This means that this lunch should be free of being responsible for students. Why has no one told my own children this?

~Solving For and Graphing Inequalities~
I'm surprised that I still remembered how to do this after all of these years. I even remembered that you have to switch the sign if you have a negative variable. But I can't for the life of me understand WHY switching the sign makes the inequality...equal??? Why are we solving for an inequality, anyway?

~Yoga Pants~
I love yoga pants. They are incredibly comfortable. I think that's the point. They're supposed to be comfortable so that you can do yoga in them. This also makes them great for sitting at your computer all day and working from home. However, as I gave myself a once-over in the full length mirror on Wednesday, I realized that there's a huge problem with yoga pants. They show panty lines. This is less of a problem for around the house, but if I have to wear them with a thong to go out in public, doesn't that defeat the main purpose of the pants--i.e. comfort?

~Dreaded Discussions With Children~
The son of a friend of a friend took his own life the other day. I was not prepared for how hard that discussion with my two teenaged children was going to be. I hope they heard me. I hope they listened. I hope they feel like they can talk to me if things seem bad. I hope they know that if the don't feel like they can talk to me, they have a myriad of other people who love them and will help them. I hope they know how important it is to let an adult know if one of their friends or acquaintances ever seems to be headed down that road. Because the stakes are just too high if they don't. And my heart is breaking for this family.

~Jack Johnson~
I love Jack Johnson. He comes up on Pandora quite a bit. I need to get more of his music.

~Pandora~
What is it with Pandora and the Beatles? No matter what radio station I create, they ALL wind up playing Beatles songs. Even the Broadway Showtunes station. Why IS that?

~Notebooks and Bananas~
I bought a new notebook at Target the other day. It is supposed to be better for the environment, so the paper isn't made from tree pulp. It's made from some part of bananas?? This is, in my opinion, the very best use for a banana. And I really like the way my pen feels on the paper. Target also had some notebooks with paper made out of rocks...or stuff from rocks. I'm not kidding. Those notebook pages looked, felt, and smelled like rocks. I'm glad I went with the one made from bananas.

~Tamiflu~
Brian got Influenza over Winter Break. The MD put the entire family on Tamiflu. Holy Cow!! I could rent a small apartment for a month for the $$ I spent on Tamiflu for my entire family. Why is there not a generic? What happens if we don't finish all ten days (besides being really bad stewards with the monthly rent for a small apartment)? Is it like an antibiotic? Will we mutate influenza germs making them more resistant to Tamiflu? What does Tamiflu do, exactly? Did I need to take it at all?

~Wise Words~
A friend of mine sent me an email a few weeks ago. It contained this gem:
"You'd be amazed how easy it is to do the right things when you don't have a choice."

Hmmm

There's something to ponder.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Thoughts....
1) The NEA needs to do a study on the hazardous health issues which result from having to eat your lunch in 19.8 minutes.

2) Do I have to defend the need for algebra to you TOO?!? :)

3) Not gonna touch the yoga pants debate with a 10 foot pole. I will also not be touching yoga pants.

4) I did not have to have the dreaded discussion with my kids, but I am still reeling from this one.

5) Haven't been on Pandora lately...moving on....

6) Bananas and Rocks...HUH??!!

7) Amen to the Tamiflu issues! We haven't needed it for several years (knock on wood), but you need a mini-emergency fund just for that medicine!!

Here's to hoping you made it through your ADD day!