Wednesday, January 5

The First Post of 2011

I've been putting this blog post off.

The dreaded "resolution" blog post.

I'm too lazy to link to them, but I've done posts on resolutions in the past.

I've made bona fide resolutions and put them in cyber-space, hoping that would keep me committed. It didn't.

I've made resolutions I didn't at all want to keep in hopes that the actual making of a resolution and putting it in cyber-space would have that same effect and those would also fail.

This didn't work, either. The resolutions to be more snippy with my children, less organized, gain ten pounds, let my Bible gather dust in the corner...I managed to keep all of those. I even exceeded my expectations on some of them.

So this year, I am making just one resolution.

I am going to make some decisions.

I am terrible at making decisions.

I hate to pick out movies or restaurants.
I can't choose between white wine or red.
Should I be wearing skinny jeans or boot cut? Neither? Both??
I can't choose a church, grocery store, or land on the perfect place for my kids to go to school.

Now this decision malady isn't really interesting, and it probably befalls lots of people.

But it is intriguing to me because I think I am possibly the most opinionated person on the planet.

I have opinions on all of the above things. Lots of them (And it goes without saying that my opinions are right :o) ).

There are types of movies I like and kinds I don't. Same with restaurants. I know that you drink white wine when eating chicken and fish and red when eating beef. I think skinny jeans only looked good on about five people in the eighties when they were called "tapered" and I don't think much has changed since then (and I am probably not one of those five people), but I also think boot cut jeans look stupid tucked into Uggs.

I also tend toward the black and white. The rule following. The "one right way to do something." And this is part of what paralyzes me about making decisions.

My brain also has this morbid habit of playing "if this...then this." And I will play this game in my mind until I have single-handedly caused the demise of the Universe with my (of course WRONG) decision.

The problem is, I can cause the demise of the Universe by choosing either white wine, or red.

Consequently, I avoid making decisions at all costs.

But really, not making a decision is a decision.

So this year, I am going to evaluate, make pro-con lists, seek advice, pray, and take a deep and terrifying breath and...

Make. Some. Decisions.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

So glad you decided to post! You have been missed.