Monday, August 23

The Color Box


I opened a brand new box of 24 count Crayola crayons the other day. You know...the kind that everyone takes to elementary school? There is something about a brand new box--with all of the points perfect--pristine and untouched. Every time I look inside one of those boxes, My eyes are riveted to two crayons in particular. The black one...and the white one.

Black and white fascinate me.

In terms of pigment, white is the absence of color...or nothing. Black is a mixture of every color...or all.

In terms of light, it is the exact opposite. White is a combination of every color in the spectrum. Black is the absence of all color.

Yet the same principle resides here as well. All...or Nothing.

Personally, I like all or nothing. I like black and white. I like things to fit into neat little boxes. I am a rule follower. Black...White. You do it...or you don't. It's okay...or it isn't.

I have a very dear friend who is a seamstress that specializes in custom-made wedding dresses. From her, I have learned a couple of interesting things. The first thing I've learned is that there are many shades of white. Winter white, antique white, white that has a fine blue hue, white that has more pink...or yellow...or whatever. The second thing she shared with me was shocking. Very few people look their best in pure white. Seriously?? That's really profound when you think about it. I would guess the same is true for pure black (I'll need to find a seamstress who specializes in funeral wear to verify this :o) )

As I age, I'm learning that as comfortable as black and white are for me, there are many, many other colors in the color box (especially if you have the box of 96!). And I'm learning that life isn't black and white. It's cerulean blue and green and brick red and brown and tangerine and flamingo pink and of course...many many shades of grey. Life is messy and beautiful and calming and frustrating and passionate and painful and a myriad of other feelings and experiences and choices. And sometimes, the colors that work in my life may not be the colors that work in yours.

And I have to tell you...this learning experience is completely rocking my black and white, rule-following world.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

good post :)

Rhonda said...

I'm with ya!

Heidi said...

Thank you for the powerful reminder that life is full of wonderful "colors". My choice is to open up to them.